Presented by Shuraako, the US Embassy, Nairobi, and the World Bank Group, the Somali Investment Forum: Returning Capital for Growth (SIF) convened around 330 entrepreneurs, investors, and sector and business development experts. Discussions during the 3-day event focused on business opportunities and challenges in Somalia, solidifying investment deals, and networking.
VIDEO: SOMALI INVESTMENT FORUM 2015
- Hosted 14 sessions to advance dialogue on business, business associations, and private sector policy reform
- 45 Somali-based businesses pitched directly to investors with pledged capital representing five investment groups
- Shuraako secured pledged investment capital which acted as a matching fund for local financial institutions, diaspora investors, impact funds, and others
- 60 Somali-based businesses and business support services hosted booths to advertise their products and services, and network with key players, at the SIF Trade Show
- 54 scholarships were awareded to Somali businessmen/women to attend the Forum who could not have afforded to otherwise
- Shuraako and the One Earth Future Foundation published two reports in conjunction with the SIF. Powering Progress: The Potential of Renewable Energy in Somalia and Building a Business Ecosystem in Somalia: The Case for Business Associations that were used to guide session content